Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Summary of summer learning service


This summer I have continued to help educate the foster grandparents at CWC. The topics that I presented were requested by the group and focused in promoting a healthy lifestyle. The foster grandparents consist of a group of ladies that are in their late 70's and 80's that provide companionship for the individuals that live at CWC.

The foster grandparents qualify as a vulnerable and underserved population which is why I chose this group. As an advanced practice nurse my role will focus on identifying deficits in health care delivery systems for the underserved populations. As a nurse educator it is within my scope of practice to identify educational needs and provide education to help individuals improve their quality of life.

The greatest challenge in providing education for a group of octagerians was to find the right educational level of material to present. They are all smart ladies but don't understand medical terminology so I needed to focus on content appropriate for the general population.

I learned that regardless of a person's age there is still a desire to learn new information. The discussions that happened after the presentations were so very interesting to me. These women have lived through the depression when food was rationed and everyone hunted as opposed to going to the grocery store. They are a great group of energetic woman that have many life experiences that have dictated their ability to problem solve.

I will continue to educate the foster grandparents on health care issues that are important to have to promote a quality of life. I will also work with the foster grandparents’ program coordinator to further investigate projects that will involve this volunteer group with the greater organization.

Thanks.....Cindy

 

No comments:

Post a Comment