Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Nutrition Part 2


Today I spent time with the foster grandparents discussing part 2 of my nutrition lecture -Reading labels.

The content that I covered included:

·        Nutrition Facts Label- specific information

·        Label example

·        Nutrition Facts

·        Calories/Calories from fats

·        General guidelines for calories

·        Nutrients

·        Understanding the footnote

·        Comparing labels

I had asked the foster grandparents to each bring 2 labels from their favorite foods. We went through and read about 20 labels from a variety of foods. I took the opportunity to discuss healthy alternatives to some of the food items. The discussion was interesting as topics surfaced as included cooking for one person, limited budgets and eating habits.

It was a well-rounded discussion with many great questions that provided an opportunity for me to review some of the content from nutrition part 1. The group commented that they learned new things today….with the ending comment as “ I guess you are never too old to learn”.

Cindy

1 comment:

  1. Cindy, it is important to learn how to read those food labels. I believe in eating fresh fruits and vegetables. Not much labels needed in those!

    ReplyDelete